For “A Century of Science and Service” at Rowe Hall, Central Michigan University
- What is the Midland American Chemical Society (ACS) exhibit about?
- The exhibit discusses the history of the Midland Section, founded in 1919, and the relationship between Section needs/activities and the growth of our Mid-Michigan communities. Also celebrated are the outstanding Midland ACS members and the Section’s contributions to education at local colleges, as well as chemistry awareness across all age levels in our area. Important inventions by ACS members and their global contributions are highlighted, too.
- What target audience is the exhibit designed for?
- The exhibit was designed with the general public in mind, to inform as well as to commemorate. Chemists can look up friends and colleagues on the Periodic Table of Elemental Members, but there are also videos of ACS outreach, a presentation on ethics and the breast implant controversy, as well as interactive augmented reality (AR) displays of important molecules, several interesting artifacts, and puzzles for kids to solve.
- Is the exhibit FREE?
- Yes, for unguided visits. Groups are asked to make a small donation. Contact the CMU Museum at 989-774-7165 for more information.
- If I saw the exhibit in 2019, is there anything new or different?
- Yes, there is updated material in the exhibit, the AR experience is new, and there will be rotating displays along the outer perimeter, as well as events in the adjacent space.
- Where exactly is the exhibit located and when is it open? How long will it be there?
- The exhibit is located in Room 124 of Rowe Hall (650 E. Bellows St.) on the campus of CMU in Mount Pleasant, MI. It is open 8am to 5pm weekdays, or by appointment. The Museum office can be reached at 989-774-3829. Current plans are for the exhibit to stay at this location for at least two years.
- Will there be any special events or educational programs at the exhibit?
- Yes, school group tours (or senior tours) will be/can be arranged by contacting Rebecca Petrone at 989-774-3176 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can fill out a program request form here: Century of Science: Program Request Form
- The grand re-opening will be September 22, 2022, and there will be periodic programming in the adjacent space for Halloween/National Chemistry Week and other events. Please check the Midland ACS centennial website at www.midlandacs100.org, the main Midland Section website (www.midlandacs.org) and the Midland Section and CMU Museum Facebook pages for updates. You can also sign up for a free digital Midland ACS monthly newsletter on the main site homepage.
- Who is responsible for the exhibit? What if I have questions?
- The exhibit was designed by John Metcalf of Good Design LLC; content was developed by members of the Midland ACS who partnered with the CMU Museum Studies Program. Generous funding was provided by the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation, the Rollin M. Gerstacker Foundation, Midland Section ACS , the Charles J. Strosacker Foundation and National ACS Corporate Associates. We also acknowledge the renovation efforts funded by CMU that allowed us to accommodate the exhibit at Rowe Hall.
- Questions can be directed to Gina Malczewski (email@example.com) and/or Dr. Jay Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org).